Sunday 25 November 2012

Glenbrook Marathon

Up at 4:30, got ready and drove to collect Phil Morris (whome I had not met before). The weather was due to get to 30degC but little did we know it would get to over 32degC in the mountains. We had an amazing view of a the sun rising at 6am which was in retrospect a bit of an omen. Euroka Clearing in the Glenbrook Valley is about 15 minutes off the Great Western Highway - very remote indeed. After we got our race numbers (bibs) and our singlets, we relaxed for 40 minutes before the pre-race briefing - complete with a full lecture on what to do if there is a fire. This was very important, especially due to the impending heat & after the fire-storm fatality 2 years ago.

Pre-race briefing in Euroka Clearing


Before the race...if I had of known then what I did at then end of the race.......

 
So the hooter went at 7:40 and I started at 5:30 pace, which was the aim until the first steep hill climb 4kms in. Trail runners are very friendly, so there was lots of nervous banter during the first 4kms - this soon dissapeared as the temperature rose.
Just before the start...


Some beautiful trails about 18kms into the race...
So I turned the half-way mark in 2:16 and thought I felt pretty good. Most runners stopped and did not continue and a lot were just running the half so they finished (pretty relieved I am sure). The photo below shows a marshal filling up my pack's bladder, this was quite a quick transition for me though in retrospect I should have eaten a little more at this stage. It was an interesting lesson (for future long events ie: NF100) in how to handle these transitions. I need to mentally prepare better before entering these sections so that I can ensure that I do or get everything I need before leaving. The volunteers did an amazing job out there all day, always willing to assist and offer guidance.
Then first part of the second loop takes you straight to a 500m climb which is where my walking started. I ended up walking at 9min/secs per km for a lot of the second loop. The image below is the long, steady 6km dirt road that snakes away from the 32km to the 38km mark. This was hot & dusty and I had a hot wind blowing on my face the whole way.

The whole track was well marked and there were several signs with red crosses on it indication that it was the wrong way.The correct route was marked with pink ribbon.
In the photo below, you can almost feel the heat coming from the track. Hydration was the key for me and I was glad I had my hydration pack with me, though more gels would have been useful. Just after I took this photo a guy with some huaraches hammered past me - what a sight! This was my "Born to Run" moment... http://www.borntorun.org/

Summary
I will chalk this one up to experience. I was well under-baked for this event and was not expecting the extra loop at the end of the marathon to bring up the milage. Phil finished in 4:30 which was a stellar effort and I did 5:40. Shoes worked well and so did the pack (which I made sure I had 1.5L of water in it - upon leaving each checkpoint - to simulate the extra weight I will have to carry in NF100). I had the chest straps too tight on my pack so had some muscle soreness in the upper abdomen late in the race. No injuries other than my pride (for finishing so slow) and some sunburn. Monday I felt fine in the legs though it did take me a while to get to clear pee.
So, would I run it again? After some consideration - the answer is yes. I would just ask for cooler temperatures and some more mileage in the legs before the race.

1 comment:

  1. Top effort Caballo!!! It was hot enough gardening in the 'burbs let alone running an ultra...

    ReplyDelete